Monday, October 01, 2012

Pete Lockett

In early September I got the chance to see UK world music multi-percussionist Pete Lockett performing and to meet him after his show. He was performing as part of the Drumscene Live tour and borrowed a set of tabla from me for his clinic and show. I've been working many years with my tabla maker in Varanasi, Anwar, to produce great tabla which satisfy Australian Quarantine's strict conditions. I'm glad to have been able to help Pete out with some tabla and was happy that he liked the sound. 

I'm sorry to say that while I'd heard his name before, I'd never heard Pete Lockett's music until he got in touch with me to arrange the tabla. Having had the opportunity to listen to quite a few of his albums now I can highly recommend him to all world music percussion fans out there. We enjoyed the performance which featured not only tabla but darabuka, cajon, and plenty of vocal percussion along with a nice ambient backing track. Lots of dynamism and tonal variety. During the show Pete also demonstrated his new iPhone/iPad app, DrumJam - one finger percussion, check it out!


 Pete Lockett playing my tabla at the Drumscene Live Brisbane concert - you might recognise the non-leather binding, especially made to clear Australian Quarantine.



No comments: