Monday, November 17, 2008

Kyushu with Hide Iwai (sitar)

At the end of October, I went to Kyushu where I'd been invited by sitar player Hide Iwai, who I first met in Varanasi about 5 years ago. This was my second tour with Hide and I didn't take so many photos this time around, so please take a look at the posts from last year's Kyushu tour for some beautiful scenery and onsens (natural hot spring baths), including the famous Jigoku ("Hell") onsen.

This time around we played 5 concerts in 6 days, with plenty of time set aside for soaking in hot springs and sitting in saunas. Many many thanks for inviting me Hide!

Shen and Hide in Kubota-kun's house in Nishihara, Kumamoto.
A very cool home in a quiet country town - thanks Mr Kubota!


We were joined for an impromptu Kathak session by Tomomi Shinkai, who I used to practise with every week in Varanasi.

Shen and Hide at Kira-Kira, an Asian clothing and handicrafts store in the owner's own house in Kumamoto city - another very cool home in far western Japan.

We played in a beautiful temple in Yatsuhiro, Hide's home town in Kumamoto prefecture.


We were joined by Tomomi-chan again in Yatsuhiro. Very well received. Thanks Tomomi!

The Kyushu tour party - Shen, Hide, Ryuji (driver/sound tech) and Tomomi
Thanks everyone! 皆さんありがとうございました!

No comments: