Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Bengali Society Saraswati Puja

On Saturday I took part in the Bengali Society of Queensland's celebration of Saraswati Puja. Saraswati is the Hindu goddess of learning and music, and so a very important deity for musicians and students, especially in the Bengali community. My guru-ji's family (also Bengali) have held Saraswati Puja home concerts for more than 50 years, and so this is also a very important day for me.

Pujariya Bapi Bhattacharya performing the puja for Saraswati-ma

Sulagna Basu singing songs devoted to Saraswati-ma, accompanied on tabla by Mortuza Huq

Tito Basu performing Bengali songs on guitar

Saikat Bhattacharya (sitar) accompanied by Shen (tabla) - our performance was very well received!

Saraswati Puja cultural evening audience

At the end of one of my best solos my bayan broke! Luckily Mortuza's bayan was right next to me and I could continue with that.

No comments: