Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Dover Lane 2007 Programme

I arrived in Kolkata yesterday. Same as ever... crowded and polluted. The big news in India is that Aishwarya Rai and Abhishek Bacchan are getting married!

I have a few things to do before I escape to Varanasi, where I'll be taking part in the Saraswati Puja home concert at my Guru-ji's house. I'll be performing with sarod player Shuji Yamamoto, a disciple of Ustad Amjad Ali Khan. Also performing in the programme will be Shubhshankar, grand-nephew and protege of Varanasi tabla Godfather, Pt. Kishan Maharaj (who will also be present at the concert, I'm told). It's always an electric atmosphere at this concert. Report next week...


If I wasn't taking part in that Saraswati Puja concert I'd definitely stick it out in Kolkata to attend the Dover Lane Music Conference - 4 nights of amazing Indian classical musicians. (Read about last year's conference here.) For those of you interested, here is this year's programme:

Jan 22, 7pm onwards
Lopamudra Chakraborty (Dhrupad)
Tejendra Narayan Majumdar (Sarod)
Vasundhara Komkali (Vocal)
Shujaat Khan (Sitar)
Aswini Bhide Deshpande (Vocal)

Jan 23, 8.30pm onwards
Kaushiki Desikan (Vocal)
Ayaan Ali Khan (Sarod)
Rashid Khan (Vocal)
Hari Prasad Chaurasia (Bansuri)
Jasraj (Vocal)

Jan 24, 6.30pm-midnight
Purbayan Chatterjee (Sitar)
Ajoy Chakrabarty (Vocal)
Shivkumar Sharma (Santoor)

Jan 25, 8.30pm onwards
Shubhada Paradkar (Vocal)
Shahid Parvez (Sitar)
Rajan & Sajan Mishra (Vocal)
Amjad Ali Khan (Sarod)

Tabla Accompanists:
Ananda Gopal Bandopadhyay, Anindya Chatterjee, Samar Saha, Sukhbinder Singh Namdhari, Abhijit Banerjee, Subhankar Banerjee, Tanmoy Bose, Jogesh Samsi, Subhen Chatterjee, Arup Chatterjee, Sanjay Deshpande

(Try looking up any artist on musicalnirvana.com if you want further info. They're almost all super-famous.)

2 comments:

Shen said...

PS If you manage to read through my blurbs, please leave a comment. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Shen
Many thanks for the info on DL fest. Dr Mahendra Singh and I arrive there on 22nd, will be staying at Ustad Rashid Khan's and attending the concerts.
Regards
Joseph, Brisbane